Electrical Safety Certificates Apply To All Residental Tenancies From 1st April 2021

Compulsory electrical safety checks [EICR] came into law in July 2020 and will apply to all residential Tenancies from 1st April 2021.

The regulation applies to all residential properties, new Tenancies or renewals that started from 1st July 2020 and existing Tenancies from 1st April 2021.

What are the electrical safety requirements?

National standards for electrical safety must be met with the inspections carried out by a qualified and competent electrician who will inspect and test the electrical installations on the property. It must be carried out at least every 5 years

A report is provided showing the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test due. A copy of this report must be provided to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and to a new tenant before they occupy the property.

You have to supply the local authority with a copy of the report within 7 days if they request it and should retain a copy of the report to give to the inspector who will undertake the next inspection.

Where the report shows that remedial or further investigative work is necessary, the work must be completed within 28 days or any shorter period if specified as necessary in the report and you must supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant within 28 days of completion of the works.

What will be inspected and tested?

All ‘fixed’ electrical parts of the property, wiring, plug sockets, light fittings and the consumer unit will be inspected. This will include permanently connected equipment such as showers and extractors. The Regulations do not cover electrical appliances, only the fixed electrical installations.

The report will confirm that the electrical installation should be safe for continued use. Classification codes will be used to indicate where remedial work must be carried out.

Please do not hesitate to contact Chambré if you have any questions with regards to this or if you need any support to ensure you are compliant

Back to Blog