A sizable, imposing period building on Park Lane, overlooking Hyde Park, was in dire need of complete external refurbishment. The building suffered from peeling paint, leaks, and other signs of significant deterioration.
The building’s condition had deteriorated to such an extent that emergency scaffolding revealed plants growing out of the cornice and dentils falling onto the pavement. Moreover, the property had not seen a thorough overhaul in over 20 years.
- Structural Integrity: Repair and replace deteriorating external elements to ensure the building’s structural soundness.
- Aesthetic Improvement: Refresh the exterior appearance through high-quality paintwork and masonry.
- Safety Measures: Prioritise pedestrian and occupant safety by addressing falling elements like dentils.
- Occupant Convenience: Carry out the refurbishment with minimal disruption to the occupants.
- Modern Amenities: Create useful spaces like bike storage for residents.
- Longevity: Use materials that would ensure longer life and durability.
1. Masonry and Structural Repairs:
- Individually scaffolded each side of the building to focus on required masonry work.
- Created 70 new dentils and repaired ornate cornice.
- Used 130 linear meters of helium bars for crack repairs.
2. Material Upgrades:
- Replaced over 100 square meters of render and front ledge lead under the fourth-floor windows.
- Used traditional lime mortar instead of plaster-based fillers.
3. Additional Renovations:
- Overhauled two conservatories’ roofs.
- Re-covered the main roof and replaced beads between the panes.
- Removed redundant AC condensers and created a new bike storage area.
- Replaced the outdated decorative fountain with granite tiling to match the frontage.
Time and Budget:
The refurbishment project was completed on schedule and within budget, despite the complexity and scope of work involved.
Results and Achievements:
- Structural Soundness: All required structural and masonry repairs were completed.
- Enhanced Aesthetics: The building’s exterior was revitalized, enhancing its curb appeal.
- Resident Satisfaction: The new bike storage and other amenities were well-received by the occupants.
- Safety: Addressing the deteriorating external elements significantly improved safety conditions.
Our comprehensive approach, encompassing structural integrity, aesthetics, and modern amenities, successfully transformed this imposing Park Lane building. The renovation not only improved the building’s overall condition but also made it a more functional and appealing place for its occupants.Back to Case Studies Contact Us